Chapter Meeting Minutes
20 June 2017, Guild Hall


All Members Present Except: Marilyn Sand, Laurie Theis

Dean, Fr. Troy Beecham, called the meeting to order with prayer at 5:30 p.m.

Treasurer’s Report: Brad reported that the budget is doing well and that some line items are, for various reasons, actually under budget. Skeet Wootten questioned why no real estate is reflected on the balance sheet, and whether the Diocesan financials reflect the assessed value of the Cathedral church and parking lot properties, noting that St. Paul’s carries the liability insurance for said property, and pays taxes on the parking lot. Skeet mentioned that many years ago church property was reflected on our balance sheet. A discussion ensued on how real property is viewed by the Episcopal Church (United States) and how disputes have been handled in other parts of the country. Skeet will follow up with the Bishop regarding this concern. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

Minutes: On a motion from Skeet Wootten, seconded by Tim Whipple, the Minutes of the May 2017 Chapter meeting were approved as corrected.

OLD BUSINESS

Early Childhood Development Program: Rick Stearns shared with the Chapter his discussions with Craig Sandahl, who has been instrumental in supporting this type of program at Trinity Church in St. Augustine, Florida. Trinity’s Early Childhood Development program has been operating for about 20 years and is highly regarded and successful (and has a wait-list). He provided seed money for their start-up, and continues to offer scholarships. Craig would like to develop a program like this at St. Paul’s and is willing to gift seed money for any necessary physical renovations and other start-up costs, as well as funding scholarships ongoing. Rick and Bill Graham have talked extensively with Craig about the, now mature, program in St. Augustine. Rick shared details regarding staffing costs, tuition and budgets. Their programming efforts have led to 20-22 families joining the Parish over time; however, instrumental in that effort has been an Associate Pastor position to build and nurture the relationships necessary to lead to that outcome.

Chapter members discussed how to best explore this opportunity for St. Paul’s. Among the considerations are: our downtown location and demographic; should it include day care; what our “niche” might be (music education); and perhaps exploring a partnership with the already established Methodist art-centered pre-school. The discussion also included how a tiered pricing concept could work (member versus non-member). The formation of an exploratory committee will be initiated, drawing upon those in our Parish family who have particular strengths that would complement this type of undertaking. In conclusion, the Chapter is enthusiastic about this opportunity and will be actively exploring how St. Paul’s might pursue a similar program.

Kitchen Update: John Kerss reported that the renovation got off to a fast start, with waterproofing and asbestos removal having already been completed. Installation of the grease trap has gone more slowly, and the plumbing changes might require some re-negotiation as the bid was based upon drawings, and the drawings did not reveal everything. Kitchen Committee members, Anne Reasons and Phyllis Melton, made an upgrade to the cabinets and switched to a different installation company following negative feedback concerning the first choice. This may result in an additional $2,000 to the original budget. John will also be checking with Historical Preservation authorities to get approval on a change in color choice for the cabinets. John expects the renovation to be completed in about six more weeks and he will be providing a breakdown on the costs for the Chapter.

NEW BUSINESS

Staffing Changes: Deacon John reported that the bookkeeping position has been offered and accepted, and on July 17, this part-time temp-to-hire individual will be on board and will occupy the office next to the small kitchen.

Ministry Cloister Brochure: A brochure featuring Ministry Cloisters and Committees was distributed by Deacon John. He asked Chapter members to review the information with an eye toward accuracy and whether these Cloisters are still meeting and/or functioning, as well as determining their necessity. John suggested that this review, and a discussion of the “Strategic Goals and Initiatives” (also handed out) be part of the full agenda for the Retreat in late July.

DEAN’S REPORT

Fr. Troy feels that his health situation is going well and he reported that he has a visit to the Mayo Clinic scheduled for mid-August. Two letters will be going out to Parishioners to update and address Fr. Troy’s health and its future impact on St. Paul’s: One communication, ready for mailing, from Fr. Troy; and a second joint-letter from the Senior Warden and the Bishop.

NOTE: Because of Fr. Troy’s Mayo Clinic visit, the regular Chapter meeting will be held one week later than usual, on August 22, beginning at 5:30 p.m.

Fr. Troy proposed that the upcoming Second Sunday Brunch, July 9, be held in-house rather than at a local restaurant. At this event he would like to facilitate a discussion that would build upon the spontaneous response and outpouring of love and the Holy Spirit witnessed on the Sunday he announced his health situation to the Parish congregation. The Hospitality Cloister will make plans for food, given that there will not be access to the kitchen. Details will follow.

SENIOR WARDEN’S REPORT

Chapter Retreat (July 21-22): (Rebecca Gruber and John Z joined the meeting). It was suggested that the Staff (Rebecca, John Z and Mark) join the Chapter Retreat this year and be at the table as planning discussions take place. Rebecca expressed concern over lack of communication, and confusion surrounding who to contact when simple issues need to be addressed. This lack of clarity on “who handles what” has been expressed by new Chapter members, as well. Rebecca also noted that Staff do not feel “in the loop” on decisions that effect them, and that concerns and details of the staff review process do not reach Chapter members. Rich Jacobs suggested that Staff attend the Retreat to share their ideas and concerns, taking care to keep the range of discussion within the framework of the Chapter’s wider agenda.

A venue for the Social component on Friday night is under consideration. Skeet Wootten suggested having the Saturday Retreat meeting at the new Boy Scout headquarters on 63rd Street. The facility does not charge for its use and they have ample parking and meeting space. The Senior Warden will send a card with details and RSVP shortly.

Update of By-Laws: This project has been assumed by Junior Warden, Laurie Theis. The anticipated outcome will be to clarify how our our By-Laws effect our practices.

Nursery Report: Stephanie has the Nursery staffed with volunteers and one full-time person throughout the summer.

DEACON’S REPORT

Sanctuary Movement Update: Due to time constraints, John noted that discernment meetings involving Parish members continue. He indicated that these meetings have averaged about 10 people each time. Organizers, Spivey and Stacey, are seeking a motion from the Chapter that would allow wider (community) participation. Tim Whipple suggested that given the current small representation of Parish members, he would not be in favor of any kind of Chapter resolution at this time.

Fr. Troy concluded the meeting with prayer. A motion from John Kerss, seconded by Elvin McDonald, to adjourn at 7:20 pm was unanimously approved.

Respectfully submitted, Barbara Willey, Chapter Clerk

 

The Cathedral Church of St. Paul
Chapter Minutes

23 May 2017


Elvin McDonald, acting clerk on behalf of Barbara Willey who is recovering from surgery.

Attendance: All present except Brad Schaefer and Barbara Willey. Guest: Spivey Knapik

Dean Troy Beecham called the meeting to order with prayer at 5:00 p.m.

Treasurer’s Report: In the absence of Brad Schaefer, John Doherty reminded Chapter that April financial data should have been distributed by Brad. John indicated that adjustment is needed to Estate Income projection owing to recent recognition that income received for several years from a trust would now be considered to be payable to Endowment Fund. This generated some discussion as to when estate and memorial gifts should be considered as operating income versus bequests to endowment fund. This subject was referred to Finance Committee.

Sanctuary Discernment: Spivey Knapik requested Chapter approval of action to indicate on social media that Cathedral was discerning the level of commitment to Sanctuary Initiative. Approved by Chapter. Also Spivey requested information on how to obtain access to Cathedral facilities for a meeting of others involved in Sanctuary movement. Spivey was referred to John Zickefoose. Spivey also discussed the intention of the meeting that led to Chapter discussion regarding factors to consider in planning for such a meeting. Laurie Theis made a motion that we agree to “discernment” on the website, second by Stephanie Preusch. Much discussion. Motion passed unanimously. Spivey and Traci want to set up a Discernment Committee made up of St. Paul’s members and others. Tim Whipple expressed concern that it become political— i.e. ICE might show up.

Kitchen Update: John Kerss provided update on work. John requested approval for contract modification in amount of $9,500 for flashing outside of north wall. Motion made and approved to increase the authorized loan amount by $10,000 to $170,000. Skeet Wootten agreed to notify Chuck Wheeler of this increase and to encourage action of Investment Committee on request approved by Chapter in April Meeting. There was a motion by John Kerss, second by Rich Jacobs that the kitchen expenditure be capped at $170,000. Passed.

Reading of Minutes: Motion by Skeet Wootten, second by Laurie Theis to approve. Passed unanimously.

Senior Warden: Expressed the need for volunteer nursery caretakers through summer.

Father Troy shared that he has been diagnosed in the early stages of Parkinson’s but is hopeful that he is years from the disease impacting his daily work. The Chapter expressed pledge to be supportive in all ways possible and to accept this as a learning experience to help the Church meet the needs of its flock.

Motion to adjourn by Tim Whipple, second by Laurie Theis. Motion carried and the meeting ended following prayer by Father Troy.